The District 123 School Board of Education recently held their regularly scheduled board meeting on April 23, 2019. Highlights from the meeting include:
- Boy Scout Troop 596 lead the Pledge of Allegiance. Troop 596 is stationed out of Mount Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church and is currently working on their Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge.
- A review of the election results from the April 2nd School Board Election. Jennifer Fortier, Julie Misner, and Theresa Roche were re-elected to the School Board.
- The Board of Election took the Oath of Office and completed the School Board reorganization process. Brian Nichols was elected to Board President. Theresa Roche was elected to Board Vice President. Jay Lurquin was elected to Board Secretary.
- The 2018-2019 school calendar was amended due to the inclement weather days throughout the year. The last day of school will now be Wednesday, June 12th. Students will be dismissed at 11:30.
- A first reading of the 2019 Family Handbook. All recommended changes will be implemented for a second reading at the May Board meeting.
- The Board discussed proposals for school safety. BluePoint Security and Informacast proposals were reviewed and compared.
The Board also discussed some new Board policies to review and adopt. They specifically discussed the following policies in greater detail:
- Policy 7:180 Prevention of and Response to Bullying, Intimidation, and Harassment;
- Policy 4:110 Transportation – what constitutes a serious safety hazard due to a course or pattern of criminal activity;
- Policy 4:150 Facility Management and Building Programs – incorporating the 10-Year Life Safety Survey;
- Policy 6:185 Remote Educational Programs – Calendar day and attendance implications;
- Policy 4:190 Targeted School Violence Prevention Program.