In order to comply with the mandates of the law in reference to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 the Board of Education has adopted the following policy:
District 123 affirms non-discrimination on the basis of sex in order to comply with the provisions of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to insure that discrimination on the basis of sex not take place in any education program or activity except where necessary to accomplish a specific purpose that does not impinge upon essential equality or fundamental fairness in the treatment of students or employees of this school district.
This policy applies to the following:
- employment practices;
- access to programs, activities, services and benefits;
- bestowing awards, honors, scholarships, and financial aid;
- marital and parental status
- pregnancy and programs for pregnant students or students who are parents;
- sexual intimidation and harassment;
- discipline policies and practices;
- codes of conduct;
- provision of employment opportunities;
- cooperative agreements with employers who discriminate against students on the basis of sex;
- membership in cooperatives, conferences, and organizations which discriminate on the basis of sex, course content, presentation, and availability;
- classroom practices, teaching methods, and instructional materials;
- extracurricular programs and after school activities; and
- physical education and athletics.
Students and parents shall be notified annually of their right to initiate a grievance or complaint of illegal discrimination and of the person to whom such complaints shall be directed.
Anyone wishing to present an allegation of sex discrimination shall contact the District Coordinator of Non-discrimination. All complaints must be presented within thirty (30) calendar days of the occurrence of the first event giving rise to the complaint. Within ten (10) working days of receipt of the complaint, the administrator will respond in writing to the complaint and will forward copies of the decision to both the complainant, and the District Superintendent.
For more information regarding the District’s policy on sex equity, harassment, sex discrimination and related grievance procedures, please review Board policies.
“No person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance in District 123.”